
Tonight the Parkway Speakeasy Theater is closing and I am grief stricken.
This Oakland institution has been around since 1926 and the most recent "Speakeasy" incarnation has been open since 1997 (which also happens to be the year I arrived in California - adding personal poignancy). Gone now are the days of being able to walk 2 blocks out my front door and catch a second run flick while enjoying beer and pizza on a couch for $5. They also often held fundraisers and played the classics (Desperately Seeking Susan, Blade Runner, Spinal Tap and others) many of which became my one and only opportunity to see these gems on the big screen.
I am now moving through the second stage of mourning - anger. We just tried to go see the final showing of "Let the Right One In" and cry a salty tear in the dark - but we were turned away. All final shows were "Sold Out". How will I find closure?
Farewell old friend, the neighborhood won't be the same without you.

No comments:
Post a Comment